How do I become a member of Bronx CookSpace?
On our home page, choose the Price Plan that is right for you. We have a variety of plans available, based on the number of hours you expect to use each month. The base hourly rate for members is $28/hour, but we offer discounts for most of our plans - the more hours you book, the greater discount you'll get. Once you've selected your plan, click on "Apply" and complete the online forms. Once we receive your forms, our Kitchen Manager will contact you for additional information and to set up an orientation meeting. You will not become a member, and will not be charged, until you submit your additional information and documentation (see below) and we approve your application.
What benefits do members receive?
Members receive at least one hour of one-on-one technical assistance with the Kitchen Manager each month, on topics including but not limited to incorporation, insurance, cost analysis, recipes and product development, packaging, and labeling; referrals to other nonprofit service providers and small business lenders; access to resources and workshops for entrepreneurs; and exclusive networking opportunities with industry professionals.
Can I rent kitchen space without signing up for a Price Plan?
Yes. If you are looking for a one-time rental, or you just want to rent kitchen space without getting access to member benefits, you can rent kitchen space at the no-frills rate of $25/hour. Contact us for more information.
I selected a Price Plan and submitted my application. Now what?
After we receive your online forms, we will review your application and contact you for additional information and documentation. Anyone who rents the kitchen (members and non-members) must provide the following documentation:
- Proof of business name and tax ID number from the NYS Department of Corporations: https://www.dos.ny.gov/corps/index.html
- Certificate of Insurance for both General Liability and Workers Compensation (if hiring employees).
- Food Protection Certificate from the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOH): https://www1.nyc.gov/nycbusiness/description/food-protection-certificate
- One of the following business licenses:
- Entrepreneurs who are planning to sell ready-to-eat food at street fairs or any type of catered event in New York City (i.e. caterers) must obtain a Food Service Establishment (FSE) permit from the DOHMH. See https://www1.nyc.gov/nycbusiness/description/food-service-establishment-permit for more information.
- Entrepreneurs who are making food products for retail and/or wholesale must obtain a Food Processing Establishment License from the New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets. The License Fee is $400. See http://www.agriculture.ny.gov/FS/general/license.html for more information.
- A business plan
Can you help me get all these documents?
Yes! If you need assistance figuring out which business structure is right for you, finding an insurance policy, or filling out your food business license application, you can purchase a Startup Package that includes two hours of private consultation with our Kitchen Manager. The two hours do not need to be used all at once - you can split the time into two sessions. We'll help you fill out all the paperwork you need to start your business, but please note that this package does NOT include the license application fees you'll have to pay to either New York City or New York State. Look for the Startup Package under "Products" on the home page.